Why We Couldn’t Parade Arrested Killers Of Owo Worshipers – Chief Of Defence Staff
The Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), General Lucky Irabor, has confirmed that Nigerian Security operatives have arrested the masterminds of the June 5, 2022 massacre of over 40 unarmed worshippers in a Catholic Church in Owo, Ondo State, but explained why the arrested suspects could not be paraded.
It would be recalled that the murdered worshippers were in a church session at the St. Francis Catholic Church in Owo, when the terrorists entered the church and cut their lives short, leaving many other worshippers injured.
General Irabor spoke with editors and other media executives at the Defence Headquarters in Abuja on Tuesday,
According to him, the terrorists were captured at different locations across the country but added that he could not parade the arrested suspects yet as investigations are still ongoing.
He said “We had wanted to present the suspects to the public immediately but couldn’t because certain investigations are still being carried out,” he said.
The General however promised that “in due course, the suspects and others who had been involved in some daring attacks in the past few months would be presented to the public*.
“Starting with the Owo church attack, it is my pleasure to let you know that we have arrested those behind that dastardly act.
“On August 7, one Idris Ojo (37) was apprehended at Aiyetorosi in Ondo State. He was one of the high-profile Islamic State in West Africa Province (ISWAP) members that escaped from Kuje Prison….”